We had a horrible ice storm the other night. With well over 80% of our county being out of power, we were among the blessed few to have electricity still. We decided we wanted to have food ready in case any one needed a hot meal and also in case our power went next! The perfect meal to “stretch” is soup so Chicken Vegetable Soup simmered on the stove and we made a big batch of these hearty Whole Wheat Cheddar Biscuits.
This batch makes approximately 32 biscuits so you can make some and freeze the rest for later. I ended up freezing half of them between sheets of wax paper. When I need a quick meal I can pop them out and into the oven. Fresh biscuits in 20!Print
- 4 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 cups white/unbleached flour
- 3 Tbsp. baking powder
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 Tbsp. dried parsley
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1 and 1/2 cups butter
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar
- Mix dry ingredients in mixer.
- Add butter, cut into cubes and mix until crumbly.
- Add cheese and mix.
- Add milk and mix until combined.
- Roll out on floured counter or board until 1/2 inch thick.
- Cut with glass or cookie cutters.
- Bake at 450 for 10-12 minutes on un-greased cookie sheet.
- Makes (32) 3 inch biscuits. I cut out with a drinking glass.
Recipe can be halved for a smaller batch.
Another popular chicken soup recipe from Real: The Kitchen and Beyond:
Chicken Couscous Soup