If you’re booking a trip to Union Gap, Washington or road tripping through the state we have some suggestions for where to eat.
This post has been sponsored by Visit Union Gap. Some meals were covered by them while we paid for others. All opinions and experiences are my own. I have eaten at all the places on this list – some with kids and some without.
What good is it if I tell you where to stay and what to do if I’m not going to suggest places to eat in Union Gap, Washington? After all, eating is the.most.important.part of every single vacation – whether you’re flying into Seattle and hitting the road or road tripping across the country. I’ve done both. Food matters either way.
Since I’ve had extensive opportunity to eat at different places in Union Gap, I have a range of things for you to try from quick-serve burger joints to artisan pizza and beer just a hop, skip, and a jump away.
Where to Eat in Union Gap, Washington
- Los Hernandez Tamales will always top my list. The first visit could be a fluke, though I never believed that. Second visit sealed the deal. I just wish Washington was a little closer to New Hampshire. They just won a James Beard award this year for their tamales so they’re busier than ever. I hope you get a chance to visit when they have asparagus pepperjack tamales, but if not, the others are fantastic too. Make sure you grab a glass bottle of Coke to go with it.
- Xochimilco Tequila Bar – if you’re looking for Mexican food and want more than a taco stand, plan a stop at Xochimilco. The food is hearty and if you like tequila, there are plenty of options. (Hello! tequila bar) The service is great and friendly. Several of the daughters were working there the evening we visited and they we quick to serve and chat, keeping a friendly smile the whole time – even when unfortunate spills happened. My friend Laura and I couldn’t quite get the hang of eating Queso Fundido the right way, but I had zero issues with the fajitas, which are traditional simple fajitas, and Laura’s Molcajetes meal served in a hot stone bowl was amazing with quite the kick to it. Note: You do not need to be a tequila drinker to get a good drink.
- Major’s Restaurant – You’ll find this restaurant just over the border in Yakima and if you go there for nothing else, you better hope it’s zucchini season and order the fried zucchini. I could just eat a few orders of that – and onion rings. However, our chicken sandwich and burger meals were also good. The sandwich was huge. You’ve been warned.
- Pepp’rmint Stick Drive-in – Although it’s no longer a drive-in you’ll get a good quick service burger here at Pepp’rmint Stick. Our family put them to the test last year and no one had a bad burger. A side of fries AND onion rings along with a milkshake sure doesn’t hurt either. Go big or go home?
- Fruit Mix and Bubble Tea – stop in for a snack or some bubble tea. We know you’ll love it. Just look at this beauty. Soursop or mango bubble tea will be a winner and cool you down if it’s a hot day.
- Bron-Yr-Aur Brewery – no, not the Led Zeppelin song, though it did offer inspiration. Bron-Yr-Aur is about 20 minutes out of Union Gap but you’d be remiss if you didn’t stop in for some craft beer and a pizza. But seriously, if not a beer at least get a pizza. They keep pretty busy so you might have a wait during the dinner hour.
Places to Grab a Drink in Union Gap, Washington
If you love a good craft beer or glass of wine, you’ll have plenty of options. In fact, it may be hard to choose where to grab a drink in Union Gap, Washington area. Here are just a few options.
- Treveri Cellars – Enjoy some sparkling wine or a sparkling wine cocktail while enjoying the view of the gorgeous countryside and vineyards.
- Cowiche Creek Brewing Company – The ride out to this brewery won’t be difficult. Driving through the hills and orchards is simply stunning. You can also get a quick bite to eat here.
- Bale Breaker Brewing Company – If you’ve never seen hops grown you’re in for a fascinating sight. There are several fields of hops growing right near the taproom as it’s built on a commercial hop farm.
- Bron-Yr-Aur Brewery – While they are also a restaurant, I’ can’t skip adding Bron-Yr-Aur here under places to get a good drink. They have a wide selection of craft beers but I was most happy to have a nice selection of darker beers to choose from.
If you want to cook in your hotel room like my friend Laura and I did, check out Fruit City, Grocery Outlet, and the Farmer’s Market (on Sundays).
Still need more ideas for where to eat in Union Gap, Washington? Make sure you check out Visit Union Gap for more places to eat and things to do.