This warm brown rice and lentil salad is full of flavor and fiber. An easy homemade recipe, it delivers a nutritious lunch or dinner side for busy households.
This post has been created in partnership with OXO.
What’s the first word that comes to mind when someone asks you how you are doing? Is it BUSY? Now more than ever, we are busy people. With new technologies, kids’ activities, careers, and a myriad of other things, there is always something demanding more of our time.
Sometimes we give in to that demand, removing things we don’t have time for and really should MAKE time for – like breakfast or lunch. When’s the last time you either skipped lunch or ate something that wasn’t nutritiously sound? Yeah, no need to raise your hand. Join the party. This warm lemony rice and lentil salad will change that for you. One batch is perfect for a dinner side or, even better, several lunches for you. Yes, I’m looking at YOU… and me.
I slow cooked green lentils overnight then cooked the rice while I prepped the rest of the ingredients. It may feel like a slightly involved process but it is super easy and once you have this dish prepped you can turn it into THREE lunches. Stayed tuned for those ideas at the end of this post!
While the rice is cooking, quarter grape tomatoes with this handy dandy Grape & Tomato Cutter. Spread them on a parchment paper covered cookie sheet and put them under the broiler to roast for 5 minutes.
While the tomatoes are roasting, slice the bell pepper and red onion then mince them. I make the job easy with the Adjustable Hand-Held Mandoline Slicer.
Pull the tomatoes out to rest and finely chop the broccoli. Once the rice is done, mix the lentils and produce in, drizzle a quick lemon dressing over the top, give it a toss, and lunch is ready!Print
- 1 cup dry brown rice (cook per directions on package)
- 1 cup cooked lentils
- 1 1/2 cups chopped broccoli
- 1 cup quartered grape tomatoes
- 1/2 cup minced bell pepper (appr. 1/2 pepper)
- 3 tablespoons minced red onion
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash black pepper
While rice is cooking:
- Quarter and roast tomatoes under broiler for 5 minutes.
- Finely chop broccoli to make 1 1/2 cups.
- Slice then mince bell pepper and onion.
When rice is done:
- Give rice a quick rinse to rinse off any excess starch.
- Toss rice, lentils, and vegetables together.
- Mix lemon juice, honey, olive oil, salt, and pepper together. Drizzle over salad and toss.
If you want to enjoy this dish 3 ways, divide it into 3 portions. Portion 1: eat as-is. Portion 2: toss with mixed greens or romaine. Portion 3: Add 32 ounces of your favorite stock or broth and simmer until vegetables are soft for a hearty lemony rice and lentil soup.