If you look at a map of Washington, you will see that Packwood, Washington is a small stop along Route 12 (White Pass Highway) in Mt. Rainier National Park. Today I’ll share just why you should make a stop here on a family road trip or vacation.
It seems like forever ago that my friend Laura and I met up in Seattle for our epic road trip through Washington State on our sponsored #PNWFoodieRoadtrip (search that hashtag on social media for some of our adventures). I shared about some of our other stops here – Things to Do When You Visit Enumclaw, Washington, Where to Stay in Enumclaw, Garlic Sriracha Shrimp Dinner Salad, and Where to Eat in Union Gap, Washington.
Packwood, Washington really is a small town, but they have highlights that make it worth a visit – especially if you’re on a road trip through Washington state.
5 Suggestions when you Visit Packwood, Washington
- Mountain Goat Coffee Co. – Every good day starts with a good cup of coffee so shouldn’t it also be the number one reason to visit a town? (Really though, these are in no particular order). Mountain Goat is a coffee roaster and bakery that is clearly a popular morning stop judging by the line we stood in when we visited. The coffee was great. We both took a pound home with us if that’s any indication.
- Hiking! Packwood is located in Mt. Rainier National Forest as I said, with fantastic hiking close at hand. The Pacific Crest Trail goes through at the top of White Pass just 20 miles east and there are many trails in Mt. Rainier National Park and Gifford Pinchot National Forest. Grove of the Patriarchs looked like an amazing hike. We just ran out of time to visit. See more hiking options here. (Also, in winter there’s skiing at the top of White Pass.)
- Packwood Brewing Co. – Full opening soon…but if you spin through town before their full opening, you’re lucky if it’s a day they’ve got some kegs on-site. Keep an eye on their Instagram page.
- Packwood Station – The historic Packwood Ranger’s Station is undergoing renovations and is a great spot for a family reunion or extended family vacation with several buildings that can house 40 people with 20 acres of land that allow for RVs and tenting also.
- Josie’s Family Italian Restaurant – stop in for a meal or dessert. My vote is the tiramisu. Call ahead for reservations.
Where We Stayed When We Visited Packwood, Washington
The window looks out on the Cowlitz River with a view of mountains (the pictures at the top and bottom of this post), and if you listen for the bald eagle’s scream and watch carefully, you just may see a pair winging their way up the river.
This rental would be lovely for a couple trying to get away from the hustle and bustle of life. While the advertisement mentions they can make the bed into 2 twins or a king we were told on arrival that it was too difficult to turn into twin beds. We also noted that it was not possible for us to lock the door dividing our room from the main house in a way that any one in the main house could not enter whenever they wished.
Have you ever been to Packwood, Washington? Maybe you live there. If so, leave a comment with any suggestions I should add to the list.
[click_to_tweet tweet=”Big city or little town. Every destination has its own treasures to be found if you just look. Just like this little town @tourpackwood. #RTKBTravels https://www.realthekitchenandbeyond.com/visit-packwood-washington/ via @heatherlmccurdy” quote=”Big city or little town. Every destination has its own treasures to be found if you just look. Just like this little town @tourpackwood. #RTKBTravels ” theme=”style4″]