Strawberry Shallot Chicken is everything you want in the promise of early summer – fresh strawberries, grilling, and bright flavor.
Some of my favorite things about spring creeping into summer are early strawberries and the scent of grilled food wafting through the neighborhood.
The strawberry shallot sauce for this recipe is super simple, and takes about 15 minutes to cook. The end result is a sweet savory jam that is perfect on grilled chicken (or really, any meat you’d like to add it to).
It also makes a great condiment with crackers and goat cheese. Yummmm!
Can you use frozen strawberries?
Fresh sweet strawberries, so fresh from picking that they are sun-warmed, are the absolute best way you can go because there’s nothing more delightful as eating them as you prep your meal, but any fresh strawberries work.
In a pinch, you can use frozen strawberries, but you should cook them down a bit longer to cook off the excess liquid. I find you also need to add a bit more sugar as well, which I note in the recipe card.
Can you use onions instead of shallots?
I really prefer the flavor profile of shallots in this dish as they have a sweeter more subtle flavor than regular onions. That being said, you may not be able to find them, or you simply may not feel like buying one extra ingredient.
If either is the case, you will want to use yellow onions as a substitute because they are slightly sweeter than white or red onions.
Do you have to use chicken breast?
I use boneless skinless chicken breast or boneless skinless chicken thighs. Since I cut the chicken breast into tenders, both cuts are a similar thickness and cook in a similar amount of time.
If you use bone-in chicken or any other meat, you will need to follow cooking directions recommended for those cuts or types of meat.
Do you have to grill the chicken?
Absolutely not. However, the slight smokey char of grilled meat combined with the strawberry shallot sauce is making my mouth water.
What are you waiting for? Go make some already! This may just become your new favorite summer chicken recipe. I recommend you serve it with one of my favorite corn recipes – Mexican Corn on the Cob recipe (Elotes)
Sweet and Sassy Strawberry Shallot Chicken
Strawberry Shallot jam served over grilled chicken breast is a bright flavorful summer entree that everyone is sure to love.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Entree
- Method: Grilling
- Cuisine: American
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts (approx. 2 pounds)
- 1 cup diced strawberries
- 1 tablespoon diced shallot
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon sugar*
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon lemon or pink grapefruit juice
- 1 tablespoon water*
- Melt butter in frying pan.
- Add shallots and saute until just softening.
- Add strawberries, sugar*, pepper, grapefruit juice, and water*.
- Heat over medium heat until strawberries are soft.
- Mash ingredients together using a fork or spoon.
- Heat until thickened.
- Slice each chicken breast into tenders.
- Grill until almost cooked through.
- Top with strawberry shallot jam and finish grilling.
- If using frozen strawberries, add 1 additional teaspoon sugar.
- Also, if using frozen strawberries, you may not need to add water. Cook the mixture a bit and only add water if it gets too dry before strawberries are cooked down.
Keywords: strawberries, shallots, grilling, grilling recipes, chicken
More Great Summer Grilling Recipes
Originally published Jun 8, 2014 9:26 pm. Recipe left unchanged. Content updated and republished.