Last week my Strawberry Rhubarb Goat’s Cheese Pie and I set out on our great NYC Pie Adventure for Pie Party Potluck 2014, hosted by Ken and Jackie in the GE Monogram Design Center. No, no one is getting one of their gorgeous kitchens, more’s the pity. You can read about that trip and how I came to be part of it at the link above, but if you are ready for a drool worthy, sweet tart kind of pie with the perfect creamy earthy flavor of goat’s cheese to complement it, stay right here then click on over to get the
My pie traveled an hour by car to New Jersey, by train to NYC, and down 5th Avenue on my arm. It led a prestigious life.
Strawberry Rhubarb Goat’s Cheese Pie
Goat’s Cheese Layer:
- 4 ounces goat’s cheese
- 1/4 cup sugar (I prefer raw)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 cups sliced strawberries (fresh)
- 2 cups diced rhubarb (fresh)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
Goat’s Cheese Whipped Cream:
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 ounces goat’s cheese, room temperature
- 1/8 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Mix Goat’s Cheese Layer ingredients until smooth and set aside. The sugar will melt in the mixture in about 20 minutes.
- Bake Pie crust for 10-15 minutes.
- While pie crust is baking, melt butter in large pan. (I use a saute pan.)
- Add rhubarb and cook over medium heat until soft.
- Add strawberries and sugar.
- Heat until strawberries are soft.
- Mix cornstarch and water mixture.
- **At this point, smooth goat’s cheese mixture into bottom of pie crust and put in oven for 10 minutes.**
- Add cornstarch and water mixture to filling and cook on medium heat, stirring often, until fruit mixture is thick. This doesn’t take long.
- When crust/goat’s cheese mixture is done, pour fruit filling into pan.
- Bake 10 minutes longer.
- Goat’s Cheese Whipped Cream:
- Mix goat’s cheese, vanilla and sugar and set aside until sugar is dissolved (approx. 20 minutes).
- Whip cream until just before peaks start forming.
Next week I bring you the Art of Pie Crust and a Simple Pie Crust Recipe.