When we went on our road trip a few months ago we were given a bag of Popcorn Indiana Sriracha Popcorn by Whole Foods Devon. You might guess this but it’s SUPER SPICY. We couldn’t eat it by itself but mixed it into trail mix. At that time I thought it would work great as the base of a popcorn ball recipe. I was right and the idea for Sweet and Spicy Sriracha Popcorn Balls was born.
Life got in the way and those grand plans of making this popcorn ball recipe faded for a bit, but now, with Christmas coming full speed ahead, what better time to actually make them? I always associate popcorn balls with Christmas. I think it’s because the books I grew up reading, full of old timey life, always mentioned making popcorn balls for Christmas stockings.
Every year I plan to make popcorn balls to put in the bottom of the stocking with that penny, clementine, and candy cane, and then I decide to forget it because they are just too hard. NEWSFLASH: Popcorn Balls are not hard to make. What have I been hiding from?
After this morning’s popcorn ball adventure I am fairly certain I will be making all sorts of popcorn treats. Next up? Candy Cane Kisses Popcorn. After that? Christmas Sprinkles Popcorn Balls – not for me but because my son is OBSESSED with sprinkles. And these popcorn balls? Well, they will be going into a spice lover’s stocking. They may also make an appearance on my Christmas party table.Print
Sweet and Spicy Sriracha Popcorn Balls
- Yield: 12-15 popcorn balls 1x
- 9 cups Popcorn Indiana Sriracha Popcorn
- 1/4 cup corn syrup
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Put corn syrup, sugar, water, and cinnamon in a medium saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring often, to 255 degrees.
- Put popcorn in a bowl.
- Pour candy mixture over it and still in well.
- Let cool until you can handle, grease hands or wear gloves, and shape into 2-3 inch balls.
- Set on wax paper or parchment paper.