I love versatile side dishes and this sweet and spicy roasted butternut squash and cauliflower is a perfect example. Serve it as a side or over a bed of lettuce, lentils, or rice for a scrumptiously easy meal.
This week’s produce is the butternut squash. Butternut squash is the first squash I introduced to my family. While it’s still a “work in progress” veggie for some of them this dish is a real winner in my book, but then, when aren’t roasted vegetables a winner?
Roasted vegetables are one of my favorite kind of sides and I have an article on how to oven roast veggies complete with what veggies to roast, favorite combos, and seasoning ideas. Aside from grilling, it is the best way to infuse them with lots of flavor while still keeping the ingredients simple. Sure, we could fry them, but that generally requires quite a bit of oil, stirring, and loss of the fresh flavor and texture that makes vegetables amazing. I especially love that nice caramelized texture and taste butternut squash gets when it’s roasted.
While I add a generous amount of crushed red pepper flakes to this dish you can tone it down or omit it all together. It obviously won’t be quite as amazing but it may go over easier with your family. Just a note, if you have a picky veggie husband who loves some heat, yeah, you might want to add it to at least half the veggies. He may keep his mind a little more open to the possibilities. In the words of my 11 year old, “Just sayin’.”
Sometimes I prep ahead and then heat and serve or serve cold over salad for my lunch. Yup. These leftovers are all mine. Because I said so. And I give up pretty much every other leftover to my husband’s lunches.
Spicy Sweet Roasted Butternut Squash and Cauliflower
Roasting vegetables adds an extra layer of flavor. The sweetness of butternut squash is a perfect flavor combination with meaty cauliflower and the touch of sweet tartness from the cranberries combines the flavors beautifully.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 6 (appr. 1 cp. servings) 1x
- Category: Side Dish
- 6 cups cubed butternut squash (approximately 1 sm. squash)
- 4 cups chopped cauliflower (1/2 med. sz. head)
- 1 cup cranberries, fresh or frozen
- 1/2 cup red onion, sliced into wedges then halved (1 medium)
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced thinly
- 2 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon agave syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional leave out if prefer no heat)
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Grease large cookie sheet with 1 teaspoon oil.
- Mix remaining 2 tbs. oil, agave syrup, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper, and black pepper together.
- Mix butternut squash, cauliflower, cranberries, onion, and garlic together and spread in even layer on greased cookie sheet.
- Give oil and spice mixture a quick stir and drizzle over produce. *
- Sprinkle remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes over produce.
- Put in oven and bake 40 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes. **
- Can also use a basting brush to brush oil and spice mixture over.
- Dish will be cooked through at 30 minutes if you are in a rush, but is better baked an extra 10 minutes.
You might also enjoy this Butternut Squash and Thyme Shepherd’s Pie.
Pin this recipe for later.
Learn more about Butternut Squash and why you should include it in your family’s diet.