- 1 lb. sausage, links or rope sausage
- 9 medium potatoes
- 5 stalks of kale
- 1 medium-large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, diced
- 6 cups water
- 2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 6 slices bacon
- Cut sausage links into 1/4 inch thick rounds and fry in a 6 – 8 quart stockpot.
- Peel and thinly slice potatoes.
- De-stem and roughly chop the kale.
- Once sausage is almost cooked through, add chopped onion, diced garlic, oregano, and crushed red pepper flakes.
- Cook until softened.
- Add potatoes and kale, then cover with water, put the lid on, and simmer.
- Tear kale leaves in rough pieces, pulling off stalk.
- Add them to the sausage. Add water to half an inch above the potatoes.
- Cook on medium until potatoes are soft.
- Meanwhile, fry the bacon.
- Crumble the bacon then add to soup, reserving 1/3 for garnish.
- Add milk and cook for 10 more minutes. Do not boil as the milk will curdle.
- Serve hot or refrigerate overnight for a thicker soup the next day.