Making shrimp a part of our New Year’s tradition reminds me of when we grew up. Now we make spicy bacon wrapped shrimp but growing up, shrimp cocktail was one of those very rare and special treats. Imagine buying shrimp for a growing family with 7 kids! That is definitely not a fit for the frugal budget.
Occasionally we would have a shrimp cocktail ring for Christmas or New Years and I can remember us carefully counting out how many shrimp were on that ring and dividing them out so every one got the exact same amount. Just like shrimp cocktail, spicy bacon wrapped shrimp is a huge hit in our family, and just like growing up with those shrimp cocktail rings, it doesn’t take more than a few minutes to clear the plate. The best part is that making these shrimp is deceptively easy. I love to use Gwaltney Beef bacon but since I couldn’t find it this time I used Black Forest dry rubbed bacon from Whole Foods. Good stuff!Print
Spicy Bacon Wrapped Shrimp
Spicy pepper and salty bacon complement succulent shrimp beautifully.
- Total Time: 18
- 1/2 pound shrimp, raw, peeled and de-veined
- 1/4 pound bacon
- 2 teaspoons red pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Turn oven to broil.
- Put spices in a plastic bag and shake to mix.
- Add shrimp to bag and shake until well coated.
- Cut bacon strips in half and wrap each half around 1 shrimp.
- Arrange on baking sheet at least 1 inch apart.
- Broil 8-12 minutes until done.
- I broil on one side for about 4 minutes, then flip and finish.
- Servings will depend on size of shrimp.