- 6 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 large onion (1–2 cups)
- 1 cup blueberries
- 2 tablespoons/1 tablespoon coconut oil*
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Campfire Cooking Steps:
- Get a good fire going.
- While fire is heating up, put a cast iron Dutch oven over the fire to heat.
- Cube sweet potatoes and onion in 1 inch or smaller cubes. **
- Add oil to the pan and once it is heated, add potatoes and onions.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Cover the food but stir frequently so the potatoes don’t burn to a crisp.***
- When the potatoes are just cooked through, remove the lid and add the blueberries.
- Cook for a couple minutes.
- Serve as a side or over rice or quinoa.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Prepare produce as above.
- Grease a large baking sheet or 9×13 pan with coconut oil.
- Mix together potatoes, onions, and seasoning.
- Spread mixture on baking sheet.
- Bake on rack in middle of oven for 10 minutes.
- Stir and spread blueberries over top.
- Bake 10-15 minutes more or until potatoes are easy to poke through with a fork.
*Use 2 tablespoons oil for campfire cooking and 1 tablespoons oil for oven roasting.
**The smaller you cut the potatoes and onions the faster they cook. 1/2 – 1 inch is ideal.
***Using a lid helps keep steam in and cook the potatoes faster.