Roasted Mushroom Cheddar Bread
- Prep Time: 60 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hours 15 minutes
- Yield: 6 mini loaves/12 servings 1x
- 2 TBS. active dry yeast
- 2 & 1/4 cups warm water
- 1 TBS. sugar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 6 cups flour
- 1 cup finely chopped mushrooms
- 4 oz. shredded cheddar (use your favorite)
- 1 TBS. oil
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Using 1 tablespoon oil, grease cookie sheet.
- Spread mushrooms out on it and stir to lightly grease them.
- Roast for 10 minutes, stirring once halfway through.
- Mix yeast, sugar, and warm water in mixing bowl.
- Let set 5 minutes or until it has a nice bubbly look to the top.
- Mix in 1 cup of flour and the salt.
- Add flour 1 cup at a time until you have added 6 cups total.
- Once all the flour is mixed in, add the shredded cheddar and roasted mushrooms.
- Set your mixer to speed 2 and let it knead the dough for 3 minutes or by hand until it is nice and elastic. Add a little flour as need be so your hands don’t stick.
- Lightly oil your hands and put the dough in a greased bowl, turning once so the top of dough is greased.
- Dough will be slightly sticky.
- Cover dough with a paper towel or light weight towel and set in a warm place until dough doubles – 45 minutes to 1 hour. If you have a proofing drawer it may take less time.
- Coat hands in oil, punch down dough and divide into 6 equal pieces.
- Oil a pan or use a baking stone without oil.
- Put on baking sheet with a few inches in between as they will puff up quite a bit.
- Bake at 400 until top is golden brown and surface pops back up immediately if you poke it (15-20 minutes).