Eating seasonally is one of the ways we try to keep our grocery budget in check. This rice stuffed acorn squash recipe is just the thing.
We aren’t huge fans of squash but are working our taste buds toward it. I firmly believe that many times we just need to get use to the flavor of something to find we actually enjoy it. Acorn squash is one of the newest things I have added to our menu to work on. Some of us are learning to enjoy it more quickly than others but they are coming around.
I have a rice stuffed squash recipe I’ve used in the past but between the butter, heavy cream, and cheese, it wasn’t quite so health conscious. This stuffed squash recipe is a bit more health friendly and fits the bill for seasonal fall comfort food.
As this recipe has simple flavors, I change up the sausage depending on what I have on hand. Some favorites are pumpkin sausage, cherry jalapeño cheddar chicken sausage, and spicy sausage.Print
- 3 acorn squash
- 2 cups brown rice (dry)
- 2 sausage links/equivalent loose sausage ( I usually remove sausage from casing)
- 2 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 medium onion
- 2 cloves garlic/1 heaping tablespoon minced
- 1/4 cup butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut acorn squash in half and scoop out seeds.
- Place cut side down on cookie sheet and bake for 35-40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare rice per instructions on package.
- While rice is cooking, melt butter in frying pan while you chop onions and mince garlic.
- Add sausage, onion, and garlic to melted butter and cook until onions are soft and sausage is cooked through.
- Once rice is done cooking, mix rice, shredded cheese, and sausage mixture together.
- Pull baked squash from oven, turn over, and stuff centers with rice mixture.
- Top with freshly ground pepper and a dash of salt.
- Return to oven for 10 minutes.
Looking for another deliciously easy stuffed squash recipe?
Try this popular slow cooker roast chicken and acorn squash recipe.
Have a favorite acorn squash recipe? Dish in the comments below!