Peas & Prosciutto in White Sauce
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Main
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 cups milk
- 2 cups peas*
- 1/2 pound prosciutto, cut in small cubes
- 1 clove garlic, sliced thin
- 4 ounces shredded cheese (such as Italian blend)
- 1 teaspoon oil
- Melt the butter in a high-edged saute pan or stock pot over medium heat.
- Stir in flour, salt, and pepper.
- Bring it to a bubble.
- Slowly add milk, 1 cup at a time, stirring well until thickened after each cup is added.
- Stir often so it doesn’t scorch to the bottom until thickened.
- Meanwhile, in a saute pan, heat oil then add garlic and prosciutto.
- Fry until edges of prosciutto are crispy and lightly browned.
- Add to white sauce when it is thick.
- Add cheese to the sauce and stir until melted.
- Use fresh or frozen peas. If using fresh peas, put in a steamer basket over a pan of boiling water. Cover and cook until just tender, approximately 5 minutes.
- Calorie count was figured using 2% milk.