- 2 and 1/2 lb. pork (2 and 3/4 – 3 lb. if you use bone-in pork)
- 12 cups water, divided
- 2 medium onions, chopped and divided
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 6 cups hominy, rinsed and drained
- 1 (4 oz.) can green chiles, minced and drained or 1 jalapeno, minced with/without seeds
- 1 TBS. ground cumin
- Juice from 1 lime
- Turn Instant Pot on saute. Add oil. Once oil is hot add half the onion and the garlic. Saute a few minutes until slightly softened. Add pork, salt, pepper, and 4 cups water.
- Switch Instant Pot to manual, high pressure for 40 minutes. Put lid on and turn seal to closed.
- Once Instant Pot is finished, do a natural release for 10 minutes then turn vent seal to open. Remove pork from pot and shred. Place back into pot and add hominy, remaining water and onion, chile pepper or jalapeno, lime juice, and cumin.
- Close Instant Pot and seal vent. Set to manual, high pressure for 30 minutes. When time is complete, let natural release for 15 minutes then turn the vent seal to open.
- Use 6 or 8 quart Instant Pot.
- Recipe may be halved.