Decadent cream cheese frosting flavored with fresh orange is easy to make and perfect topping just about any cake.
Last year my friend Laura at Little House Big Alaska started an awesome group called Great British Baking Show Bake-Along. (If you’re a fan of the show you totally should check it out. You’d love it!) Anyway, this week’s bake-along was a ginger cake.
I love ginger and have been needing to have a little fun in the kitchen so I pulled out my apron and got my bake on with this Boscobel Beach Ginger Cake. Instead of of making it as a bundt cake I made it into a layer cake.
But with every good cake, there comes the decision of how to top it. And I knew it needed to be something citrusy. I polled my followers on Insta-stories and 2 votes was enough for me to go with my orange cream cheese frosting recipe. I already know it’s amazing with chocolate cake like this rich Chocolate Cake I make for any occasion that calls for chocolate cake. It’s also lovely on this Cranberry Orange Cake.
Oh yeah, don’t forget to lick the beater. I know you want to. Now let’s get baking. What cake will you top with this frosting?Print
Decadent cream cheese frosting flavored with fresh orange is easy to make and perfect for topping just about any cake.
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 4 TBS. butter, softened
- 2 and 1/2 cups confectioner’s sugar
- Zest from an orange
- 2 TBS. fresh-squeezed orange juice
- Beat cream cheese and butter together in mixer on medium speed until smooth and creamy, scraping down the bowl occasionally. Add orange zest and continue beating until zest is evenly dispersed through cream cheese and butter mixture.
- Add 2 cups of confectioner’s sugar and beat until mixture is smooth and creamy. Add orange juice and mix until well incorporated. Add final 1/2 cup confectioner’s sugar and beat on medium speed until smooth.