When a food blogger finds something so tasty she (me) eats it 3 days in a row it’s time to share. You may start out skeptical but you need to give this open-faced sandwich recipe with pickled beets and brie a try.
I get bored easily. It’s one reason I don’t eat breakfast very much. If breakfast isn’t going to be tasty then why waste the time? I could go for a full breakfast every morning if it wasn’t for the fact that I would have to spend time making it. That’s just not practical with how much I need to fit in my day.
I also am not a huge fan of eggs. They’re boring. That’s why when I griped about not knowing what to make for my breakfast and my son spoke in an awe-filled voice about how he could make me a fried egg sandwich with lettuce and tomato, I looked at him like he was nuts and said back in the same voice, “That sounds boring. Now if you want to use that voice and talk about about a fried egg sandwich with cheese and bacon and caramelized onions, I’m buying it.”
Reality is there was no time. If I’m going to hit the gym in the AM I can’t take the time to make a fancy breakfast (nor should I blow every bit of workout on that sandwich). But maybe I can. If I can make it quick. This open-faced sandwich recipe came about by a twist of boredom. I looked in the fridge, saw the brie, and thought it would add a nice flavor change-up to my egg sandwich but it needed something more.
And just like that my gaze landed on the container of Love Beets Honey+Ginger pickled beets. It was a crazy thought but I figured the tangy beets would pair well with slightly nutty creamy brie and if not, well, I gave it a go and would learn for next time.
I made the sandwich open-faced because I didn’t want to blow every calorie I burned off on breakfast but it really ends up being perfect that way because I tried it with 2 slices of toast just to see and it was too much. Let’s face it though. I only go to the gym so I can eat food. True story. I know it’s good for me. Blahblahblah. And yes, I feel great afterwards, but seriously, that hour of my day could be spent elsewhere and I would be just as happy.
But now for the good stuff…Print
- 1 egg
- 1 slice bread
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 Love Beets Honey+Ginger Beet
- 1 sliver brie
- salt and pepper to taste
- spring greens (as desired)
- Heat pan over medium high heat with 1/2 butter.
- Toast bread then butter with remaining butter.
- While bread is toasting, put egg in pan and salt and pepper as desired.
- Fry egg to desired doneness and top with brie and thinly sliced beet.
- Put on toast and top with greens as desired.
*Please note calories are an estimate.
- Category: Breakfast
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 265
The Very Best Egg Sandwich Making Tips:
- Good bread is a must. A slice of Tuscan or sourdough is lovely. Toast it just until crunchy then butter it. Butter is key.
- I think the very best fried egg comes out of a cast iron pan like this*.
- Fry your egg anyway you like it with a bit of salt and pepper. I cook it mostly through, pop the yolk, then flip and top with slivers of brie so the egg doesn’t drip all over. If you have time to deal with it a “yolky egg” as my daughter calls it would be divine.
- ENJOY! Every last bite.
Need more great egg recipes? Try one of my egg bakes like this cheesy cauliflower egg bake.
*Real: The Kitchen and Beyond is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.