Have you ever had those molten lava cakes so many restaurants make? If you are craving chocolate they are THE.BEST.THING.EVER.
I’m cheap. I have major issues spending $5-$7 for dessert at a restaurant. Especially when the dessert is so huge (or rich) I can’t eat the whole thing. Then I decided to make my own molten lava cake. (Take THAT major restaurant chains).
It is fairly easy and if you have eggs and cream you have a good start to making it very inexpensively. The last time I had to buy the ingredients it cost me about $10. Yeah, that was the time I paid $4 for a pound of butter! I didn’t need to use all the ingredients so that $10 went farther than dessert. It is a little healthier than a molten lava cake you order at the restaurant with hot fudge, ice cream, and whipped cream piled on it and your portion size can be better controlled.Print
- 5 ounces bittersweet or semi sweet chocolate (I use whatever I have but German chocolate is favorite and I use 4 ounces)
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- 5 TBS. sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 – 1/2 tsp. instant espresso powder
- large pinch salt
- 1 TBS. flour
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Generously butter 4 3/4 cup souffle or custard dishes ( I use mini loaf pans or muffin tins).
- Stir chocolate and butter in heavy small saucepan over low heat until smooth.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in brandy.
- Cool 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Using electric mixer, beat eggs, egg yolks, 4 TBS sugar, vanilla, espresso powder, and salt in medium bowl until very thick ribbon falls when beaters are lifted, about 6 minutes.
- Sift flour over batter and fold in gently.
- Fold in chocolate mixture.
- Divide batter among dishes, filling completely.
- Bake cakes until tops are puffed and dry and tester inserted into batter comes out with moist batter clinging to it, (10-15 minutes).
- Cool cakes 5 minutes.
- Beat cream and 1 TBS sugar until firm peaks form.
- Spoon a generous heap onto the lava cake.
- Sprinkle a pinch of dark cocoa on top.