Maple Sour Cream Muffins
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 12 1x
- 2 cups whole wheat flour*
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter, unsalted
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 2/3 cup maple water (may use milk in place. There was no noticeable texture difference.)
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup + 2 tablespoons maple syrup, set aside
- Preheat oven to 450°
- Sift flour.
- Mix flour, baking powder, and salt in bowl.
- Cut in butter until crumbly. Works best if you cut chilled butter into smaller cubes first.
- In separate bowl, mix together sour cream, maple water, 2 tablespoons maple syrup, and egg.
- Stir into dry ingredients until well incorporated.
- Fill lined or greased muffin tins 3/4 full.
- Make a small well in center of each muffin and add small amount of remaining maple syrup to each one. Push batter over syrup.
- Bake 15 minutes.
- Let cool 10 minutes before serving.
- *Best results: Use freshly milled soft white berries or a stoneground whole wheat, sifting 2 times before using.