With school back in session and many parents are wondering what to replace their child’s peanut butter sandwich with. You’ve looked at the store options and see that the alternatives are quite a bit pricey and don’t know how your budget will take one more thing. Your not even sure your kid will EAT it. Last week I decided to try making my own sunflower seed butter or sun butter as it is often called.
The results weren’t so bad and it definitely was cheaper than a container of store bought. It even passed my peanut butter loving kids’ palates. Here’s a trick though. If your kids don’t like it, wean them at home. Slowly mix peanut butter and sun butter, lowering the peanut butter ratio until they are switched over. Don’t make a big deal about it and they are less likely to.Print
Honey Roasted Sun Butter
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 16 ounces 1x
- 3 cups of sunflower seeds
- 1–2 tablespoons oil – my favorite are coconut or olive oil
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Spread sunflower seeds on a cookie sheet and roast in the oven at 400°F. for 5 minutes.
- Mix all ingredients in the food processor or blender until smooth.
- As it processes you will need to push the mixture down as it starts to collect on the edges.
- Add a little more oil if it needs to be thinner.