Jalapeño Cornbread Cakes
- 2 cups cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup milk – you can use dairy-free milk. I used oat milk
- 2 eggs
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons diced jalapenos
- 4 tablespoons butter or olive oil
- Mix together dry ingredients.
- Mix in jalapenos.
- Mix in milk and eggs.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of butter or oil in frying pan.
- When hot, add tablespoons full of cornbread batter to the pan, flattening heaps a little.
- Fry a few minutes until top starts looking dry.
- Turn over when bottom is browned and fry second side 1-2 minutes or until brown.
- Add a tablespoon of butter/oil to the pan with each new batch of cakes.
- Makes approximately 15 2 inch oval cakes.
- Serve with Chorizo Zucchini Chili.