I miss summer. It’s true. Summer has been MIA far too long for me. I have been turning to summery foods to remind me that the tastes of summer are just around the corner. One huge “crop” of late summer is zucchini. Who grows a garden and doesn’t know the overwhelming abundance of zucchini? It’s the ultimate summer produce, right? Taking a spin on eggplant parmigiana I made an easy gourmet appetizer that can be pulled together in no time-Italian Pepper Zucchini Bites.
You can turn this appetizer into an entree or veggie side by slicing the zucchini in half length wise then scooping out a little of the middle, filling it with Italian Peppers, then topping it with your favorite cheese and baking it until the zucchini is crunchy tender. I love having another healthy gluten-free appetizer in my line up. Now how about that appetizer?
Italian Pepper Zucchini Bites
- Zucchini – I like the baby zucchini
- Italian Peppers
- Cheese (gouda, provolone or mozzarella) Skip cheese for a dairy free option
- Olive oil
- Cut zucchini into 1/4 inch thick rounds
- Brush olive oil on each side of rounds or shake in a bag with oil (1 tablespoon per 8inch zucchini)
- Heat frying pan on medium heat.
- Add zucchini rounds to pan.
- Saute 2-3 minutes until the bottom is just soft or lightly browned.
- Turn over.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon Italian Peppers.
- Top with 1/2 – 1 inch square of thinly sliced cheese.
- Saute 2-3 minutes until Italian peppers are heated through and cheese is melted.
Easy, delicious and still healthy. Italian Pepper Zucchini Bites are a great blend of summer and winter, perfect for a healthy appetizer or flavorful dinner side. I recommend Rose Romano’s Italian Peppers, the inspiration for this recipe.