If you love split pea and ham soup you’re sure to love Instant Pot Lentil Soup with ham even more. Seriously. It’s so easy to make (for real) and budget-friendly. Plus, dinner is ready with much less time spent watching the stove.
- 1 Tbsp. oil
- 1 large onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 lb. dried lentils
- 8 cups water or stock (optional: additional 4 cups to thin soup as desired)
- 2 cups diced ham
- 1 (24-28 oz.) can crushed or diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- Turn Instant Pot to SAUTÈ and select MORE.
- Add oil to pot and heat while you chop the onion.
- Add the chopped onion to the Instant Pot, stirring frequently.
- Mince garlic then add to the pot.
- Once onion is softened and translucent, add the lentils and ham and stir.
- Add water/stock, tomatoes, and seasonings. Stir.
- Secure the lid on the pot. Close the pressure-release valve.
- Select MANUAL (6-quart) or PRESSURE COOK (8-quart) and set pressure level to high pressure. Set time to 35 minutes.
- When cooking time is complete, use a natural pressure release for 10 minutes then use a quick pressure release.
Cook time includes 20 minutes for sauté and cook time as well as 20 minutes to come to pressure and 10 minutes for natural pressure release.