It’s strawberry season. It’s rhubarb season. It’s strawberry rhubarb EVERYTHING season. And I love strawberry rhubarb everything but this Honey Roasted Strawberry Rhubarb Shortcake recipe, well, it takes the cake. Pun intended.
I’m always on the hunt for new strawberry recipes (and rhubarb recipes, for that matter). And while I always love a good strawberry shortcake, I may never eat classic strawberry shortcake again. Adding rhubarb and just a bit of honey to take the sour edge of rhubarb off then roasting the mixture in the oven….
Oh people. It’s amazing. My mouth is watering just thinking of it. That luscious combination of sweet juicy strawberries and tart rhubarb will never get old for me. And you know what? Making little changes (like a new ingredient or technique like roasting) to classic easy recipes is the way to go when we are busy people who want something fresh and new.
I remember my first introduction to strawberry rhubarb recipes. I was about 6 when we moved to the middle of nowhere. Seriously, the middle of nowhere – 3 miles back a dirt road in northwestern Pennsylvania. Even now it’s a dirt road. We discovered all sorts of delicious new flavors out there in the country, and one of them was a rhubarb patch on the edge of the property.
That summer my mom whipped up a batch of home canned strawberry rhubarb jam and made strawberry rhubarb pie. I was all in. It was my favorite jam and is still a yearly favorite.
Even better is that last spring I discovered we have our very own mini rhubarb patch to go with the strawberry patch we already knew about. (Who could help but say this house was meant to be ours?!)
While I can’t say I have an arsenal of rhubarb recipes in my recipe box yet, I’m working on it and this is a great addition to the strawberry rhubarb jam, rhubarb ginger jam, and strawberry rhubarb goat’s cheese pie I make.Print
- 6 servings your favorite homemade or store-bought shortcake
- 1 lb. strawberries – hulled and quartered
- 2 cups cubed rhubarb
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Additional strawberries for topping – approximately 1 cp. sliced strawberries
Honey Whipped Cream
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tsp. honey
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Cover large baking sheet with parchment paper of silicone baking mat.
- Evenly spread strawberries and rhubarb over pan.
- Drizzle honey over fruit.
- Bake for 10 minutes then stir.
- Turn oven to 450°F and bake another 10 minutes, stirring at 5 minutes.
- You may need to bake an additional 5 minutes. Fruit is ready when fruit around the pan edges are browned.
Honey Whipped Cream
- Beat heavy cream and vanilla on high speed, drizzling honey in as you beat.
- Beat until soft peaks form.
Assembling the Shortcake
- Cut shortcake in half.
- Divide roasted fruit between 6 servings.
- Place top of shortcake on.
- Top with whipped cream and fresh strawberries.
If you’re looking for the perfect shortcake recipe for this dessert, I recommend this shortcake from Taste of Home. It has just the right sweetness to pair with the sweet tart strawberry rhubarb. Do you have any favorite rhubarb recipes? Be sure to share them with me in the comments!