- 2 and 1/2 cups flour
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 1 soft cheese – approximately 1/4 pound
- 1 hard cheese – approximately 1/4 pound
- 2 more eggs
- 1/2 pound ground meat – beef, sausage or turkey work great
- Favorite sauce – homemade or store bought, splurge and use a good sauce
- Mix together the flour and 2 eggs and egg whites by hand. Yes, it’s messy but it mixes together the best.
- Add more flour by the tablespoon if the dough is too sticky. You want it to be nice and soft but not stick to your hands.
- Cover dough and let rest.
- Shred hard cheese.
- Fry meat. You could dice garlic and onion and fry it with the meat for more flavor
- Using a mixer, mix together soft cheese, hard cheese, meat and 1 egg.
- Roll pasta dough – with a pasta machine, roll to Number 2 thickness. By hand- roll until as thin as you can still handle without tearing it.
- Cut dough into circles – a glass or round cookie cutter works well.
- Beat remaining egg in a small dish and brush onto each round of pasta.
- Add a small spoon of meat and cheese mixture to center of half the dough rounds.
- Top with another pasta round, egg brushed side down so the egg seals together the edges of the two rounds.
- Place on parchment sheet and place in refrigerator for 10 minutes.
- Drop into boiling water and cook until they float.
- Or, saute in pan with a little olive oil on low until they are cooked through. I am obviously not an expert on this one since mine were cooked a little too high and long. I will update this when I get that technique down.
- Top with sauce of choice and grated parmesan.