Homemade Mushroom Soup is quick and easy and best of all, it’s gluten-free.
Have you ever looked at a can of cream of mushroom soup and wondered just how hard it could be to make? It isn’t as difficult as it might seem. It takes just a few ingredients, and once you have a taste of homemade cream of mushroom soup you aren’t going to want to go back.
In fact, after reading the label of popular cream of mushroom soups I will never go back. The best part about this recipe is that it’s gluten-free mushroom soup. Now all my gluten-free friends can enjoy it too.Print
Once you make your own cream of mushroom soup you will never want to go back to store bought. Best part about this recipe is that it is gluten-free too.
- 8 ounces mushrooms, I like crimini
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (more if using unsalted butter)
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- Melt half the butter in a pan, on medium heat.
- Add chopped mushrooms, salt, and pepper.
- Heat until mushrooms are soft.
- Add rest of butter and heat until melted.
- Stir in cornstarch.
- Once cornstarch is fully incorporated and mixture is bubbling, add milk, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring until fully blended.
- Cook until thickens to consistency you want.
- Use as regular mushroom soup.
If you make and save for another day, this mushroom soup will thicken to a condensed soup. You can then add another 1-2 cups of milk, depending how long you heat it and how thick you want it.
Love this? Try homemade cream of chicken soup.