Homemade Cream of Chicken Soup recipe is easy, delicious, and uses just a few ingredients. Oh, and best of all, it is gluten-free in a world of gluten filled cream soups.
Have you been cutting the processed boxes and cans from your grocery list? Do you think cooking from scratch is hard but feeling desperate for better options? It doesn’t have to be hard. You can do this one baby step at a time. In my move from processed junk to real from scratch cooking, there are some ingredients I just stopped using because I couldn’t handle the ingredient list.
Cream soups were one of those things I cut. But sometimes you really just need that cream soup in a recipe. Where do you turn? You turn to this rich and creamy homemade cream of chicken soup recipe I’ve whipped up just for you.
I know that it can be hard to cut the box. I was there 5 years ago, and in all reality, sometimes still find it hard to cut them all. However, ever since I started making homemade cream of mushroom soup I knew the rest of them had to be just as easy. Remember it all takes baby steps and I will be here with you every step of the way. First we are going to make our own cream of chicken soup, and then we will work on incorporating it into your favorite recipes.
There are several ways you can create your chicken base. My preferred method is to slow cook a chicken with 1 medium onion, sliced thin, and 6 cloves of garlic, minced. It makes my job easier. If you do this, you do not need to worry about adding onion and garlic. Just add some of the slow cooked onion/garlic. You could also start with a rotisserie chicken if you like or cook your chicken separately.
For an extra rich chicken flavor you can also substitute half of the milk for chicken broth. Skip adding salt if you do this though.
This recipe makes 4 cups so I recommend dividing it into smaller “can sized” servings and freezing some for quick easy meal prep down the road.
Ready? Let’s make a homemade cream of chicken soup recipe to remember.Print
Homemade Cream of Chicken Soup
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 4 cups 1x
- 2 cups chicken, cooked and chopped**
- 1/4 cup onion, cooked until completely soft**
- 1 clove garlic, diced and cooked until completely soft**
- 4 cups milk
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- Salt to taste (low salt – 1/2 teaspoon)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Put chicken, onion, and garlic into a stockpot.
- Mix cornstarch into the chicken mixture.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Turn stove on to medium heat.
- Add 1/4 cup milk and stir into mixture.
- Continue stirring until liquid is full incorporated.
- Add 1 cup milk and stir in until bubbly.
- Continue stirring, adding 1 cup milk as chicken mixture gets thick.
- When all of milk is added, continue stirring over medium heat until thick.
- **NOTE: You can use the ingredients individually or you can also use rotisserie chicken. Just be mindful how much salt you add. However, my preferred way of creating this base is to slow cook a whole chicken with 1 medium onion and 6 cloves of garlic overnight. This creates the perfect flavoring when you add in a little of the onion and garlic.
What recipe would you use homemade cream of chicken soup in?
Need a last minute cream soup? Keep some of One Punky Mama’s shelf stable homemade cream soup mix on hand.