Ham and Bean Soup
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hours 15 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Soup
- 1 tablespoon oil (only for Instant Pot recipe)
- 1 medium – large onion, chopped (size between a hard ball and a softball)
- 1 lb. ham, chopped
- 1/2 lb. (8 oz.) dried white beans
- 2 large carrots, chopped (approx. 1 inch diameter and 6–8 inches long)
- 1/2 tsp. thyme
- 1/2 tsp. salt (if using water in place of broth)
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 8 cups ham broth from cooking original ham or water (can also be combination of both)
Instant Pot Directions:
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in IP on saute feature.
- Add onions and saute until soft.
- Add ham, beans, carrots, and seasonings.
- Add water.
- Switch IP to manual mode and put lid on, making sure vent is sealed.
- Set for high pressure, 45 minutes. Walk away.
- Once done, let set 10 minutes then do quick pressure release.
Slow Cooker Directions:
- Add all ingredients to the slow cooker except oil.
- Set to high for 2 hours then switch to low for addition 8-10 hours or just set on low for 10-12 hours.