Ham and Bean Soup is one of my favorite leftover ham recipes.
affiliate links below
It has a few simple ingredients that most of us already have in our pantries and takes away the stress of busy weeknight meals – especially because we can throw it together and walk away to deal with other evening responsibilities – like talking with our kids about their day or prepping breakfast or lunches for the next day.
Filled with ham and beans, this soup is a nice hearty way to end a long day. Just throw it in the Instant Pot a little over an hour before you want to eat or make it in the slow cooker overnight or all day. You will want to slow cook it for 10-12 hours.
Like I mentioned just above, ham and bean soup calls for just a few simple pantry ingredients. To make it you need ham (just 1 pound!!), white beans, carrots, onion, thyme, bay leaf, pepper, and optional salt. Wanna know a secret? You don’t even need to soak the beans. WIN!
Ham and Bean Soup
Yield 6 servings
- 1 tablespoon oil (only for Instant Pot recipe)
- 1 medium - large onion, chopped (size between a hard ball and a softball)
- 2 large carrots, chopped (approx. 1 inch diameter and 6-8 inches long)
- 1/2 lb. dried white beans
- 1 lb. ham, chopped
- 1/2 tsp. thyme
- 1/2 tsp. salt (if using water in place of broth)
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 8 cups ham broth from cooking original ham or water (can also be combination of both)
Instant Pot Directions:
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in IP on saute feature.
- Add chopped onions and saute until soft.
- Add chopped carrots, ham, and seasonings.
- Add water.
- Switch IP to manual mode and put lid on, making sure vent is sealed.
- Set for high pressure, 45 minutes. Walk away.
- Once done, let set 10 minutes then do quick pressure release.
Slow Cooker Directions:
- Add all ingredients to the slow cooker except oil.
- Set to high for 2 hours then switch to low for addition 8-10 hours or just set on low for 10-12 hours.
Looking for more fantastic leftover ham recipes? This Ham and Lentil Soup is another favorite.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.