I love having friends over for lunch. Sure, it’s great to meet somewhere for lunch sometimes, but there is something so much more relaxing about sitting in your home, visiting over a meal. The last time I did, I ended up just having soup and salad but it made me stop and really think about my lunch options. With many friends who are gluten-free, I wanted to create a meal everyone can eat. I have a block of one of my favorite cheeses (Jarlsberg) on hand, so while I had a simple soup and salad yesterday, I experimented with gluten-free lunch wraps today.
I am not a sandwich fan. Chalk it up to sandwiches almost every day of my school life if you wish, but we just don’t get along so well. There isn’t much of anything special about bread, meat, and cheese slapped together. Although, I will say that when someone else makes me a sandwich it tends to taste better, and I will gladly eat whatever I am given. I just don’t choose to make them at home.
Since I wanted to create something I will enjoy, and something I can share with friends for lunch, I went with a trio of meats – roast beef, turkey, and ham. (Did you know Wegmans has a selection of organic lunch meats?) Jarlsberg was my cheese of choice, and I used different condiments to finish the wraps. I chose to put my own twist on classic sandwiches and salads – Roast Beef and Swiss, Chicken Caesar Salad, and Ham, Swiss, and Spicy Mustard.
Roast Beef and Swiss
- Lay out a slice of roast beef.
- Add a very thin layer of horseradish mayo. (1 tablespoon mayo and 1/2 teaspoon horseradish mixed together will make several wraps)
- Shred some Jarlsberg over it.
- Add some caramelized shallots to the center.
- Roll it.
- Put it under the broiler for 2 minutes.
Chicken Caesar Salad
- Lay out a slice of oven roasted turkey breast.
- Shred parmesan over it.
- Add a small handful of mixed greens to the center.
- Drizzle over some Caesar Salad Dressing.
- Roll it.
Ham, Swiss, and Spicy Mustard
- Lay out a slice of ham.
- Add a thin layer of spicy brown mustard.
- Shred Jarlsberg over it.
- Add a row of spinach leaves down the center.
- Roll it.
How can something so simple taste so good? When you use classic and favorite flavor combinations together how can it not be magical on your taste buds? These gluten-free lunch wraps make for a flavorful bite that is both light and filling-perfect for lunch.
P.S. Two of my kids don’t care for Jarlsberg because it tastes like swiss. They ate these and loved them.