This easy Garlic Sriracha Shrimp Corn and Avocado Salad is sure to hit the spot on a hot summer day with quick easy prep and barely any cook time.One of the best parts about going on vacation is not having to cook. But sometimes I get a little tired of eating out for every meal. This easy dinner salad sounds gourmet but is super easy to whip up even if you’re cooking over a campfire, using a hotel grill, or have a small 2-burner stove in your hotel kitchenette.
My friend Laura at Little House Big Alaska and I just got back from an amazing road trip through Central Washington State with stops in Enumclaw, Union Gap (hello, my friends with the best tamales!), Packwood, Chehalis, and Seattle.
For our stay in Union Gap, WA we were invited to stay at the Best Western Ahtanum Inn once again and of course we said yes. The staff and hotel are absolutely lovely. See more here on our family’s hosted stay on our New England to Pacific Northwest Road Trip 2017. Best of all, the suite has a small kitchenette, and what would a road trip with 2 foodie bloggers be if we didn’t take the chance to cook together at least one night?!
You can see that whole thing unfold on our dual Facebook Live, but don’t go far, because I’m dishing up the recipe right here.
We hopped in our sporty little Mazda CX-9* and popped into Fruit City where we met JR and got the scoop on the freshest local produce in the market then loaded up our basket with dinner fixins, making meal decisions on the spot. No easy feat when there’s 2 of us just brimming with ideas for all the luscious produce calling our names like a siren’s call.But decide we did, and we filled our basket with grape tomatoes, corn on the cob, sweet onion, their special smoked maple garlic, apricots, blackberries, an avocado (not local), and lemon (not local)…plus some peanuts for snacking. We heard they have the best roasted peanuts.
After a quick stop at Fruit Mix and Bubble Tea to try their Bubble Tea , we stopped at Grocery Outlet to finish off our shopping. Casey, who works in marketing at Sage Fruit gave us the scoop that this is one of the best places to shop for groceries so we had to check it out. We both love a deal and we found just what we needed – mixed greens, frozen shrimp, seasonings, oil, and some salted caramel cookie thins to pair with apricots and blackberries.
You can see the rest of our dinner-making shenanigans on the Facebook Live but for now, let’s just make the recipe, shall we?Print
- 10–12 oz. mixed spring greens or arugula
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 4 ears fresh corn/4 cups frozen corn
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced*
- 2 TBS. oil, divided in half
- 1 avocado
- 8 oz. (1/2 pint) grape tomatoes
- 1 lb. pre-cooked shrimp
- 2 tablespoons garlic sriracha seasoning*
- Toss greens with juice from 1/2 lemon and plate.
- If shrimp is frozen, thaw in running water.
- Cube avocado and set to side, squeezing just a bit of lemon juice over top.
- Wash grape tomatoes and set to side.
- Cut corn off cob. Heat frying pan over medium heat with 1 tablespoon oil. add onion and garlic. Cook for 2-3 minutes then add corn and turn heat to high. Saute for 5-7 minutes, stirring often. Add a dash of salt or garlic sriracha seasoning. Transfer corn mixture to another dish and return pan to stove.
- Turn burner down to medium high heat and add remaining oil. add shrimp to pan and sprinkle seasoning over top. Toss the pan or move shrimp around to coat with seasoning. Saute for 2-3 minutes then turn and saute another 1-2 minutes. You only need to heat the shrimp through. Be careful not to overcook or it will become tough.
- Top greens with corn, then add avocado and tomatoes. Top with shrimp and squeeze some more lemon juice over top.
*If you are lucky enough to get your hands on some smoked garlic, use it. You’ll love it.
*If you can’t find garlic sriracha seasoning, season shrimp with 1 teaspoon garlic powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt then just before they are finished cooking, add 1 tablespoon sriracha and shake pan/stir to coat shrimp.
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: Seafood, Salad
*We partnered with Mazda USA on this #PNWFoodieRoadTrip and they provided the car for our trip.