Freezer Space: Creamy Tomato Basil Soup
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 leaves fresh basil (I used dry crushed basil)
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 – 28 oz. cans whole tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup heavy cream or milk for a thinner lower fat soup
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- Combine onions, basil, bay, and tomatoes in a stockpot.
- Simmer until tender, approximately 20+ minutes (depends how much time you have and how long you want to combine the flavors).
- Remove bay leaf.
- Puree mixture.
- Return to stockpot.
- If serving immediately: Add heavy cream and heat without bringing to a boil as the cream will curdle.
- Add salt and pepper.
- If freezing, do not add cream and cool completely.
- Freeze in a freezer bag.
- Serving day – Thaw completely.
- Reheat, adding cream.
- Do not boil.
- Serves 4-6.