Some days life gives you frozen lettuce. Actually, that was my refrigerator, which I have about had it up to HERE with. Since I was already throwing myself headfirst into lunch prep and had offered to take lunch to a friend whose mom is in the hospital, I switched it up with this easy egg roll stir fry.
I know. Last week’s produce of the week was cabbage, but as you may have noticed I didn’t get a cabbage recipe up. Several things rendered my week useless when it comes to creativity and I just wasn’t able to pull it together, so when I started making lunch today I realized I never shared my go-to stir fry recipe with you. Stir fry is one of our family’s favorite “quick fix” meals and if you use pre-shredded cabbage and carrot slaw mix it will be even quicker. Just sub 5 cups of slaw instead of using cabbage and carrot.
It is so flipping easy you’ll just need to make some protein to go with it for a full meal. Personally, I would fry 1 pound of diced chicken with the onions and garlic, but pork, tofu, or beef would work well too.
This is one of our favorite stir fry recipes for a quick fix meal because it’s easy to pull together in almost no time and is a big old bowl of comfort food.
- Ramen Noodles, broken into smaller pieces then cooked and drained*
- 4 cups shredded cabbage**
- 1 large carrot, grated**
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup soy sauce (or coconut aminos if avoiding soy)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon Five Spice Powder
- While ramen noodles are cooking, follow next steps.
- Heat oil in large pan over medium heat while chopping onions and mincing garlic.
- Add onions and garlic to pan and turn heat to medium-high, stirring frequently.
- While onions and garlic are softening, finely chop cabbage and grate carrot if not using pre-shredded.
- Onions and garlic will be soft in 3-4 minutes.
- Add cabbage and carrots.
- Stir in five spice then add soy sauce.
- Put cover on pan for 2-3 minutes so the steam softens the cabbage faster.
- Remove lid, stir vegetables then add drained ramen noodles.
- Stir and cook until the vegetables and noodles are well incorporated – just a few minutes.
- * Ramen Noodles: 2 packages, prepared per package instructions and drained without spice packet added or 2 bundles organic noodles such as these, which can be found in many stores for cheaper)
- ** Can use 5 cups pre-shredded coleslaw mix with cabbage and carrots in place of cabbage and carrot above.