Some days life gives you frozen lettuce. Actually, that was my refrigerator, which I have about had it up to HERE with. Since I was already throwing myself headfirst into lunch prep and had offered to take lunch to a friend whose mom is in the hospital, I switched it up with this easy egg roll stir fry.
I know. Last week’s produce of the week was cabbage, but as you may have noticed I didn’t get a cabbage recipe up. Several things rendered my week useless when it comes to creativity and I just wasn’t able to pull it together, so when I started making lunch today I realized I never shared my go-to stir fry recipe with you. Stir fry is one of our family’s favorite “quick fix” meals and if you use pre-shredded cabbage and carrot slaw mix it will be even quicker. Just sub 5 cups of slaw instead of using cabbage and carrot.
It is so flipping easy you’ll just need to make some protein to go with it for a full meal. Personally, I would fry 1 pound of diced chicken with the onions and garlic, but pork, tofu, or beef would work well too.
Egg Roll Stir Fry
This is one of our favorite stir fry recipes for a quick fix meal because it's easy to pull together in almost no time and is a big old bowl of comfort food.
- Ramen Noodles, broken into smaller pieces then cooked and drained*
- 4 cups shredded cabbage**
- 1 large carrot, grated**
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup soy sauce (or coconut aminos if avoiding soy)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon Five Spice Powder
- While ramen noodles are cooking, follow next steps.
- Heat oil in large pan over medium heat while chopping onions and mincing garlic.
- Add onions and garlic to pan and turn heat to medium-high, stirring frequently.
- While onions and garlic are softening, finely chop cabbage and grate carrot if not using pre-shredded.
- Onions and garlic will be soft in 3-4 minutes.
- Add cabbage and carrots.
- Stir in five spice then add soy sauce.
- Put cover on pan for 2-3 minutes so the steam softens the cabbage faster.
- Remove lid, stir vegetables then add drained ramen noodles.
- Stir and cook until the vegetables and noodles are well incorporated - just a few minutes.
- * Ramen Noodles: 2 packages, prepared per package instructions and drained without spice packet added or 2 bundles organic noodles such as these, which can be found in many stores for cheaper)
- ** Can use 5 cups pre-shredded coleslaw mix with cabbage and carrots in place of cabbage and carrot above.