This gluten-free, dairy-free Butternut Squash Soup recipe is a real crowd-pleaser that takes very little work and is allergy-friendly.
That little old butternut squash was sitting on my counter for two weeks when I came up with this dairy-free butternut squash soup recipe. I bought it a couple weeks earlier and since it isn’t a family favorite it was one of those neglected produce items sitting in what was beginning to look like Old Mother Hubbard’s cupboard – along with the well-intentioned eggplant. No one likes the end of week two in our house since it usually means the bottom of the barrel veggies – the least used and least liked ones that mom purchased with great thought to expanding palates.
It was a cold “almost spring but not quite there” day and I needed something tasty and comforting for lunch so I made my go-to easy lunch that also warms up the kitchen – soup. I wasn’t sure what to expect when I made my dairy-free butternut squash soup the first time but these days, it’s are not to have the base already made and stashed in the freezer. If I don’t, I take advantage of chilly autumn or winter days when it’s at the peak quality and price to roast up a couple batches of the base and pop them in the freezer. It’s so handy to have in a pinch because it is allergy-friendly and takes very little work to make.
Okay, now I can admit that butternut squash was never one of my favorite food items. That’s part of the reason I am so adamant about adding it to our family’s diet – I don’t want my kids to dislike it because I always did and my advice to them held true for me too – “you have to try things multiple times before you know whether you truly like it or not.” I now love butternut squash and this soup plays a major role in my mind switch.
This dairy-free butternut squash soup is so tasty I thought there must be other butternut squash recipes out there that are just as tasty. There are! Butternut squash is such a bright addition to roasted veggies like spicy roasted butternut squash and cauliflower or Apple Bacon Butternut Squash Bisque.Print
- 1 small butternut squash (appr. 4 cups butternut squash)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 medium onion
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 pinch ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1 -2 cups coconut milk – will depend on consistency you want and type of milk used
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut squash in half length wise and scoop out seeds.
- Place on baking tray.
- Dice garlic and onion.
- Divide them and put in the two hollows in the butternut squash.
- Add 1/4 teaspoon coconut oil to each hollow.
- Tent aluminum foil over the butternut squash, sealing well around the edges.
- Bake for approximately 1 hour.
- Cool for a few minutes and scoop Butternut Squash, onion, and garlic into Blender.
- Add ground ginger and 1 cup coconut milk.
- Blend. Add more coconut milk until consistency you want.
- Heat on stove for 5-10 minutes.
If you want to change the flavor up a little bit, add a very small amount of rosemary. Just a hint or it will taste overpowering.
Perfect Pairing: romaine salad with grape tomatoes, dried cranberries and pumpkin seeds finished off with a Balsamic Dressing.