- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 TBS. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1¾ cups sugar (raw is my favorite)
- 5 large eggs
- 2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice (approximately 1.5 oranges)
- 1 tsp. orange zest
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream butter and sugar.
- Add 1 egg at a time, mixing between each addition.
- Mix flour, baking powder, and salt in separate bowl.
- Mix milk, orange juice, vanilla, and orange zest together.
- Add dry ingredients and wet ingredients alternately 1/3 at a time, mixing after each addition. Start with liquid and end with flour.
- Grease and flour 3 9 inch round cake pans. (May use 2 for double layer but bake for 5-10 minutes longer)
- Divide batter between pans and bake 30-35 minutes.
- Cakes will be done when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- If you don’t have a toothpick gently press the center. Cake is done if it springs back.
- Cool for 10 minutes then remove from pans to finish cooling.
- Once cool, trim rounded tops to flatten the cake and layer with winter spice cranberry sauce filling between each layer.
- I like to edge each layer with frosting to help keep the cranberry from squeezing out the sides and making it harder to frost cleanly.