You take the lime and the coconut…..and make a muffin. So maybe you are skeptical. A Coconut Lime Muffin is an interesting thing. I am fairly certain I have never had one before. I was really in the mood for key lime pie but it was breakfast time and I was feeling lazy so key lime pie was so not happening. Muffins are easy to whip together so I decided to go for the green and try a coconut lime muffin. I topped it with flaked unsweetened coconut before baking to give it that nice toasted coconut taste and oh my. I am in love.
It’s a unique thing to bite into a coconut lime muffin. My taste buds weren’t quite sure what to think at first but after taste testing 2…or was it 3….I decided they are quite awesome, especially when served warm. Even better is when they are topped with glaze (recipe at bottom of post).Print
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cups milk
- 1/3 cup oil
- 3 Tablespoons lime juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lime zest
- 1/4 cup unsweetened or sweetened flake coconut (for top)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Mix all dry ingredients.
- In separate bowl, mix together wet ingredients.
- Add wet ingredients with dry and mix until incorporated.
- Fill lined or greased muffin tins 1/2 – 2/3 full.
- Sprinkled coconut over top of muffins.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 18 – 20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Makes 13 muffins
- 1/2 cup 10x or powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Mix all 3 ingredients and beat with hand mixer until thickened.
- Top each muffin with a teaspoon full of glaze while still warm.