It’s Friday, also known as Donut Day in our house. This week’s grocery money looks a little sad since we just spent one week’s worth of groceries on grass fed burger so “donut money” isn’t really there. Too bad I wasn’t thinking of that yesterday when I told them they would have donuts today.
Well, I told them they would have donuts and so they shall. As I was surfing the internet this AM at my kitchen counter, my eyes drifted to the fruit/veggie bowl overflowing with patty pan squash and…..zucchini. Since I am low on some ingredients I substituted a few things. I found the original recipe at Inside Bru Crew Life but am sharing the recipe as I made it. I also don’t have a donut pan so I glopped them onto a cookie sheet. Is it a cookie or a donut? It definitely looks more cookie like but I am going with donut. It fulfills the “donut day” promise. And even though there is “green stuff” in them the kids loved them. One was actually oblivious to the fact there was zucchini in them even though you could clearly see it.
They don’t look like donuts but they sure taste good.Print
Chocolate Zucchini ‘Donuts’
- 2/3 cup raw sugar
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- ½ cup butter
- 1/3 cup buttermilk ( I did ½ cream, ½ water and 1 tablespoon vinegar)
- 2/3 cup vanilla yogurt
- ¼ cup applesauce
- 1 cup shredded zucchini
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 cup carob powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Cream butter, molasses, and sugar.
- Add buttermilk, yogurt, applesauce and zucchini.
- Continue to cream the mixture.
- Sift dry ingredients together.
- Add to creamed mixture and mix just until incorporated.
- Bake in a donut pan or scoop like cookies (just bigger. More like 1/8 cup) onto a greased cookie sheet.
- Bake 10-12 minutes.
- Sprinkle powder sugar or glaze over them and serve warm.
YUM! We love these so much! Now I want to get a real donut pan.