- 1 – 3 inch piece cinnamon stick
- 12 green cardamom pods
- 3 cups milk
- 4 oz. German chocolate
- 2 T. orange zest + enough to garnish*
- 2 oz. good bourbon (optional)**
- 1/2 C. heavy whipping cream
- 1 tsp. milk
- Crush the cinnamon stick and green cardamom pods in a mortar and pestle or with a rolling pin then toast in a 6 cup or larger saucepan over medium high heat, shaking often.
- While the spices are toasting, zest the oranges and measure the milk.
- Once your spices start releasing a warm spice scent, add the milk and orange zest.
- Whisk to incorporate then heat to a simmer, watching carefully so the bottom doesn’t scorch.
- Once the milk starts to form small bubbles watch it carefully and turn the burner down if the milk starts bubbling too much – you want gentle tiny bubbles only.
- Simmer until mixture has been over heat for approximately 10 minutes (timing will vary depending how long it takes the milk to heat)
- Strain through a fine mesh sieve into another pan or bowl and rinse remaining spices out of pan.
- Return milk to pan and put on burner then break up German chocolate into the milk, reserving a small corner to zest over the finished cup.
- Whisk the chocolate into the milk until fully melted then divide between 4 cups.
- Add 1 T. bourbon to each cup and stir then top with whipped cream, orange zest, and chocolate shavings before serving.
- Combine heavy cream and sugar in a bowl and whisk quickly until soft peaks form or in mix in a mixer for approximately 1-2 minutes until soft peaks form.
*Zest from approx. 2 oranges
**I prefer Woodford Reserve Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
- Category: Beverage