- 3 cups flour (unbleached or all-purpose)
- 1/4 cup 100% natural unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup oil*
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup dried cherries (chopped small)
- 1/2 cup semisweet or bittersweet chocolate chips, melted
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Mix flour, cocoa powder, and baking powder in a small bowl.
- In mixer, beat oil and eggs. Add sugar and vanilla and beat until smooth.
- Add flour and mix until well combined.
- Fold in cherries.
- Put parchment paper or an oven safe silicone mat on a large cookie sheet.
- Form biscotti dough into a long cylinder shape almost as long as the baking sheet then pat down to 1/2 inch thick, maintaining even width from end to end.
- Bake 25-30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool approximately 5 minutes. You want to let it cool long enough to handle but not long enough to start hardening or it will fall apart when you cut it.
- Cut cookie crosswise in approximately 1/2 inch thick fingers.
- Place back on baking sheet cut side up. Bake 6-10 minutes then turn and bake on other side 6-10 minutes. The color makes it hard to judge by brownness of the cookie but you want to it to look baked through.
- Remove from oven and cool completely.
- Melt chocolate and brush over top of each cookie.
- I’ve used olive oil and avocado oil with no issues. Vegetable oil would also work.
- When cutting the biscotti use a sharp straight knife and don’t cut straight down. Instead, hold your knife at a 45 degree angle and cut through the cookie at that angle.
- Category: Dessert