These chocolate banana muffins are a huge hit every time I make them, and now my kids make them for me.
It all started when I couldn’t find a banana muffin recipe I absolutely loved. I took a recipe and changed it, then changed it some more, testing and experimenting for over a year before I found the perfect texture and flavor.
It’s so yummy even preschoolers love it and requested them repeatedly after I swapped cupcakes for muffins at my daughter’s class party a few years ago. The teacher couldn’t get over all the little exclamations – “What do you mean it isn’t a cupcake? It tastes even better!”Print
Chocolate Banana Muffins
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 12 1x
- 2 cups wheat flour
- 1/2 cup raw sugar – you could use white or brown
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- dash ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 beaten eggs
- 3 medium/large bananas, mashed (2 cup)
- 6 oz. yogurt – any flavor
- 1/8 cup oil
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips, preferable semi-sweet (I like using mini chips)
- Mix banana, sugar, oil, yogurt, and eggs together.
- Mix dry ingredients in separate bowl then mix into wet ingredients just until incorporated.
- Mix in 1 cup chocolate chips.
- Put into greased tins or use cupcake wrappers.
- Sprinkle remaining chocolate chips on top.
- Bake at 350(pre-heated) for 15-20 minutes. Note: They took more like 20-25 minutes on this humid day.
- Let cool 10 minutes before eating so they come out of the wrapper easier.
NOTE: These muffins freeze very well and are one of my favorites for “breakfast on the run”.