Day 3 in our 8 Pounds, 5 Meals project and we have a fairly frugal recipe. I will even break down how I bought it all frugally. The Chicken Cheddar Ziti was another
crowd family pleaser as all pasta dishes are in this house. An unusual combination to be sure but using what I had at home was key and it all tasted so yummy.
I will give you the basic recipe I used and also recommend a few alterations I would have made it I had more time.
- Chicken – purchased organic chicken drumsticks at $1.99 lb., pre-cooked them as per the 8 Pound, 5 Meals project, and shredded the meat
- Ricotta – purchased on sale – 32 oz., $1.99. Combine a coupon and a sale. Re-package and freeze for days like this.
- Sauce – 1 cheapo jar at the store for $1 OR make your own sauce
- Cheddar Cheese – Aldi, $1.79
- Organic pasta – Whole Foods, $1.29
Chicken Cheddar Ziti
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- 2 cups cooked, shredded chicken
- 1 – 15/16 ounce jar of tomato sauce
- 1 – 15/16 ounce ricotta
- 8 ounces cheddar, extra sharp is our choice – shredded
- Cook pasta per the back of the box.
- Pre-heat oven to 375.
- Mix pasta, ricotta, chicken and sauce.
- Put into 13 x 9 pan.
- Spread shredded cheese over top.
- Bake until cheese is lightly browned, 30-45 minutes.
- Saute a medium onion, chopped and 2 cloves of garlic, diced. Mix in with chicken, pasta and ricotta.
- Chop a crown of broccoli and mix in with chicken and pasta.
- Use mozzarella or parmesan instead of cheddar.
- Use 1 can black beans, 1 jar of salsa and 8 ounces monterey jack instead of sauce and cheddar for a Mexican flare
How would you change your ziti up and still keep it frugal?