Chicken, Bean, and Spinach Chili
- 1.5–2 pounds/ 4 cups cooked chicken, finely chopped
- 3 ounces/ 2 cups fresh spinach leaves
- 2 – 24 ounce cans crushed or blended tomatoes
- 1 – 16 ounce can white kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 – 16 ounce can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeño, minced with/without seeds per preference
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
Note: If using homemade beans, I use 1 cup each.
- Heat olive oil in large stock pot (6-8 quart)
- Add onion, jalapeño, and garlic. Sauté until soft.
- Stir in spinach.
- Add chicken and stir in chili powder, cumin, oregano, cumin, salt, and cocoa powder.
- Mix in tomatoes and beans.
- Simmer over low heat for several hours or put in slow cooker on low for 4-6 hours.