Every time I hear the word couscous I can’t help but think of “How the Emperor Got His Groove Back”. My son use to adore that show and laugh hysterically but I digress. We’re talking about the 5th and final day* for our 8 Pounds, 5 Meals Project and Chicken Couscous Soup, also known as “how I get my children to eat couscous”.
Chicken Couscous Soup is easy. Even easier is putting it right into my Calphalon 7 Qt. Slow Cooker. Boo-yah we have a winner. I finished up the rest of our shredded chicken, stock and marrow broth for this one so it resulted in several meals. Too bad I forgot to freeze some and ended up throwing away what was left 3 days later. It was yummy and would have been perfect for easy lunches if only I had followed through better. I served the soup with my favorite fall cornbread, a deliciously moist pumpkin bread you must try to believe. Even pumpkin haters love this one.Print
- 2–4 cups shredded chicken
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 4 cups marrow broth or chicken broth
- 1 – 10 oz. box plain couscous
- 1 crown broccoli and stem, chopped fine
- 8 oz. crimini mushrooms, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, diced small
- 3 cloves garlic, diced
- Salt and pepper – to taste. If using chicken broth do not add salt
- Throw everything into the slow cooker on low for 4-8 hours.
- Serves a small army (Approximately 10 people + potential leftovers)
In case you missed this week’s project:
*I know. I only shared 4 meals now but I need to find a “fix” for my favorite meal, the Southwestern Pulled Chicken. You see, my secret ingredient appears to have been discontinued. You could buy the last case of 6 for $231 but that’s like eating gold. Sadly we don’t eat gold in this house so until I can find an alternative that is half as good or make my own, which I am working on, we are out of luck.
**This post includes Amazon Affiliate links.