Who doesn’t love a good grilled cheese sandwich?! Homemade grilled cheese sandwiches can go so far beyond 2 slices of white bread and American cheese. In fact, I don’t remember the last time I had a grilled cheese like that. A little secret? I don’t miss them.
I love to play with flavors for grilled cheese sandwiches but one of my favorite fallback grilled cheese sandwiches is a Caprese grilled cheese. Fresh mozzarella, fresh basil, and vine ripened tomatoes are the best combination and when you layer them between just the right bread, the magic happens.
My absolute favorite bread for grilled cheese is a baguette. If we are being quite particular it would be Whole Foods organic French baguette. Sure, “little sandwiches” can be a pain to grill because they require a bit more work, but just the right bread makes it worth every second of labor and then the best – the eating happens.
I cannot stress enough how important it is to have fresh ingredients sandwiched between the ultimate hearty bread. Fresh mozzarella has the best flavor and just the right amount of ooey gooey melt to it. Next, fresh basil gives it that burst of green and flavor. And finally, the tomato. I am a tomato snob. You have to have the best ripened tomatoes. If you throw a slice of mealy tomato on your Caprese sandwich you have ruined the whole sandwich. I feel that strongly about it.
Caprese Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 7 minutes
- Total Time: 12 minutes
- Yield: 10 -12 sandwiches 1x
- 1 loaf baguette
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella
- 1 large/2 medium tomatoes
- 8–10 basil leaves
- Slice baguette in 1 inch rounds.
- Butter one side of each round.
- Slice tomato and mozzarella thinly.
- Place piece of bread, butter side down in heated frying pan over medium heat.
- Layer on piece of mozzarella, tomato, and one basil leaf.
- Top with another slice o butter bread, butter side up.
- Grill until golden brown.