One bite of this sweet and savory baked apple and rutabaga won’t be enough. The earthy savory taste of rutabaga is enhanced by the sweetness of apples and fried onions. Perfect served with an egg sunny side up or as a dinner side.
- 4 cups cored then sliced apples*
- 4 cups thinly sliced rutabaga** ( approx. 1 med. or 1/2 large)
- 1 medium onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Put large oven safe frying pan in oven with 1 tablespoon oil for 2 minutes. I like to use a 12 inch cast iron pan.
- Thinly slice the onion during the 2 minutes then put in pan and back in the oven so the onions can soften while the oven preheats.
- While the onions cook, thinly slice the apples and rutabaga.*
- Once the oven is preheated, pull the pan from the oven and remove onions.
- Layer rutabaga in bottom of pan.
- Sprinkle 1/2 the salt and pepper over top.
- Put apples on top of rutabaga.
- Spread cooked onions across top.
- Add remainder of salt and pepper.
- Cover pan with oven safe lid or foil.
- Bake 45 minutes.
- *I use gala or empire apples
- **I use a mandoline slicer with setting 2 but you can also slice by hand.
- Category: Side Dish
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 103