It’s been a busy day but I am still thinking about breakfast. Maybe that’s because I had chicken noodle soup for lunch for the 4th time this week. Who’s counting though? Or maybe it’s because I had yesterday’s dinner leftovers for dinner tonight. I’m not sure. It was all quite good, but breakfast was an amazing and easy and healthy breakfast recipe and it was NOT leftovers. We had an apple and oats yogurt parfait and everyone inhaled it.
This recipe is part of my Whole Foods Frugal Breakfast Plan.
So maybe there was a little drama from the girl child, but after her mama’s stern warning that that was breakfast, she took a bite and next thing I know she inhaled it. I kid you not, that child didn’t stop for a breath. If only she would stop whining BEFORE she tries something she THINKS she won’t like.
There are a few more steps to apple and oats parfait than your regular old parfait but it only takes a few minutes longer. Creamy tangy yogurt mixed with hearty oatmeal and sweet cinnamon apples are worth those few extra minutes to breakfast. Plus, the combination of warm and cool is a delicious surprise in what usually is a crisply chilled breakfast parfait with crunch. These are the perfect winter morning kind of parfait.Print
- 4 cups 365 Everyday Value Organic plain yogurt
- 1 large apple
- 1/2 cup 365 Everyday Value Organic oats
- 1 cup water + 4 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Thinly slice apples and put in a saute/fry pan with 4 tablespoons water and cinnamon over medium heat until just soft.
- Meanwhile, boil water for oats and add oats, stirring occasionally until cooked. (Only takes a few minutes)
- Put 1/2 cup yogurt in each of 4 dishes.
- Divide oatmeal and apples, layering a small amount over each dish of yogurt.
- Top each dish with another 1/2 cup of yogurt.
- Add final layer of oatmeal and apples.
I love that I can get affordable organics with Whole Foods’ 365 Everyday Value brand. It helps me stay on budget while buying products I love.