How does your family celebrate birthdays? We celebrate by having a fun family day either on the birthday or as close as we can get. We don’t generally get gifts for the kids but choose to spend money on family adventures.
If you have ever taken a family to the zoo, movies, or aquarium, you know these adventures can add up faster than buying a gift. Oftentimes we will buy a family membership so we have the fun of that birthday adventure throughout the year. This cuts down on our costs through out the year when you figure in parking and discounts to reciprocal locations. Here are ways you can keep a birthday budget but still have a fun birthday experience.
- Buy a membership to the zoo, museum, or aquarium near you.
- Buy gifts and stash when you find them on clearance or Black Friday style specials.
- Keep an eye on Groupon, Living Social, Plum District, and Certifikid for birthday party deals, experience deals, and other fun things.
- Buy gift bags and re-use – better for your budget and the earth.
- Go to the movies during matinee and skip the snacks.
- Watch for restaurant coupons or “free” birthday meals.
- See what free/donation local attractions are in your area.
- Combine free and paid adventures for one epic day out.
- Pack a picnic lunch if it’s nice weather or if it’s a place you are allowed to bring food into.
How do you celebrate birthdays without breaking the budget? Comment below or link up your favorite generally frugal posts.
**This post includes referral links**