For a brand new Valentine’s Menu and 2015 giveaway, check this post out.
Candlelit dinners, fancy chocolates, and overpriced bouquets all go hand in hand with Valentine’s Day, right? Every where we turn there are advertisements and displays of red, pink and white cutesy or romantic (ness). Way back when we were dating, first married, and really, now, my husband and I did not have a lot of money to blow on Valentine’s Day so I went on the search for frugal Valentine’s Day ideas that are good for any night. Before you start planning, grab some strawberries and make these easy chocolate covered strawberries (with or without kids) STAT! Great inspiration for planning your special day.
It takes a little thinking outside the box but we have enjoyed wonderful times together without breaking the bank on expensive dinners, including this budget friendly valentine from last year. If you can’t get a babysitter as we were not able to for many years, you get creative. Here are some frugal Valentine’s Day ideas we have used in the past. Some with childcare, some without.
Frugal Valentine’s Day Ideas Under $5
- Borrow a movie from the library.
- Make dinner with things you already have in the house after kids are in bed or at grandma’s house.
- Grab your favorite hot drink and take a walk or go to the park. Hold hands, don’t talk about money, kids or work.
- Pull out an old favorite movie you haven’t watched in a long time.
- Turn the lights down. Dress up and dance in the living room to your favorite songs.
Frugal Valentine’s Day Ideas Under $20
- In-house movie night. Get a movie or 2, popcorn (movie theater if you like), boxes of candy, favorite drinks, and curl up on the couch together to watch a movie. Wait until the kids are sleeping or send them to grandma’s house for the night if you can. Cost? $10 or less.
- Have a picnic. Picnic indoors in cold weather, outdoors in nice weather. Buy a red checkered tablecloth and set it up with a few candles on a card table. Buy hoagies/subs, chips, and any favorite picnic foods OR make your own. A favorite for us is to take a loaf of Italian bread, put our favorite lunch meats and cheeses on, and a little Italian dressing. Wrap it up tight for several hours or overnight. Yum!
- Sushi night. If you love sushi, grab your favorites from a local store and have it at home. It’s amazing how much cheaper it is when you cut out the tip and extras.
- Grab some steaks, potatoes and a salad and make a meal together. Afterward you can make dessert together or just buy one at the store.
- Have a cook off. Figure out what ingredients you are going to use then each make your own thing. We had so much fun doing this but you definitely need to enjoy cooking.
- Game night with junk food. You choose the game but make it something you both will enjoy.
- Have your chocolate and flowers too. Try something new and make chocolate candies or fruit together. Buy flowers at the grocery store or floral shop and make your own arrangement.
- Make a playlist of songs that mean something in your relationship – from dating, your wedding, that say something special, or remind you of good memories.
- Make a memory book and take a walk down memory lane.
- Go bowling. Leave competition at the door and have fun with it.
- Have wine, cheese, grapes, and bread. Pair a few wines and cheeses.
- Make your own tapas.
Frugal Valentine’s Day Ideas Under $50
- For a few months beforehand look for an “experience” on Groupon, Amazon Local, or Living Social. Make sure to read the fine print for expiration dates and exclusions but there are so many fun experiences out there.
- Fondue night and candles – lots of candles. You can go cheap or you can go big. It’s fondue. Go big! Have fun with it and try all sort of things.
- Got to the zoo, a museum, or arboretum. Just relax with each other and have fun.
- Relive your first date.
- Get take out. See if you can get take out from your favorite restaurant. No cooking. No noise. No wait.
- Go to the movies and sit in the back row. Keep it PG though pretty please.
- Dress really fancy and go to a mid priced restaurant or fast food. It’s fun. The looks as people try to figure out WHO you are or WHY you are dressed so nice are fun.