June is Dairy Month, which means it’s time to celebrate #AllThingsDairy! Our family loves our dairy products. Cheese is a staple in this house, maybe even more so than bread. At any time of day you can find us adding cheese to a snack or meal. A favorite easy meal in our house is grilled cheese and tomato basil soup. We love to take it past the traditional butter, bread, and slice of cheese so that’s why my dairy celebration and giveaway post is going to be all about GRILLED CHEESE. But first, a word on dairy products….
Fresh nutritious dairy foods like milk, cheese and yogurt don’t just taste delicious; they’re good for your body! Dairy foods are the #1 source of calcium in most individuals’ daily diets and offer 9 essential nutrients. Milk and dairy products are fresh 365 days a year, making Dairy Month a great time to think about exciting, nutrient rich combinations like creative grilled cheese sandwiches, salads and refreshing desserts.
Join in the fun & deliciousness and celebrate “All Things Dairy” with 15 Food Bloggers from around the country as we celebrate #AllThingsDairy by sharing some of our favorite dairy recipes, PLUS enter for a chance to win one of 3 CuisinartICE-30BC Pure Indulgence™ Frozen Yogurt-Sorbet & Ice Cream Makers that will entice you to make your own delicious dairy treats this summer!
The American Dairy Association & Dairy Council salutes its local dairy farmers with a celebration of #AllThingsDairy as they seek nutritious recipes combining milk, cheese and yogurt with fresh produce. To learn more about the health benefits of dairy and the essential role it plays in your diet visit DairyGood.org
Grilled cheese – the ultimate in easy comfort food, it can be so much more than a pat of butter, 2 slices of bread, and a piece of cheese. In our house a good grilled cheese sandwich always starts with good salted butter and good bread. Our favorite bread to use is an organic french baguette. The texture is perfect and it makes the best little sandwiches. Why have one sandwich when you can have four?
11 Grilled Cheese Combinations to make your taste buds sing!
- Jarlsberg Mushroom Melt – My newest favorite grilled cheese is a spin on a classic mushroom swiss burger. One of my favorite cheeses is Jarlsberg and it is perfect on my grilled cheese. Add a heaping spoonful of sauteed crimini mushrooms between 2 slices of Jarlsberg. Toast and eat!
- Mozzarella and basil – Use fresh mozzarella and a few fresh basil leaves for a fresh and summery grilled cheese just oozing with flavor. Fresh mozzarella is pure dairy decadence.
- Cheddar and apple – Extra sharp, aged cheddar will always be my baby. Add a few thin slices of granny smith apples to that sandwich before grilling. Oh it’s heavenly just to think about.
- Prosciutto, Pear, and Goat’s Cheese – the gourmet in grilled cheese. I crisp up the prosciutto a little bit before making this grilled cheese but this is a favorite flavor combination for me, and putting it on a good hearty bread makes it even better.
- Ham and swiss with mustard – A thick slice of Virginia baked ham, nutty swiss, and a good slather of spicy brown mustard on a hearty rye bread. Throw it in the cast iron pan or a panini press. This is the right way do to a deli meat sandwich.
- Kale Pesto and 6 Cheese Panini – If you don’t have a panini press just use a heavy frying pan on top of the sandwich. Our family loves our healthy and nut free pesto for pasta and these sandwiches.
- Pizza Grilled Cheese – We love to use Italian peppers on our pizza grilled cheese but you could use a traditional sauce. Either way, people rave about these grilled cheese sandwiches anytime I make them.
- Mango Habanero Grilled Cheese – You need nothing else when it comes to this cheese. We are lucky if it lasts long enough to make it on the sandwich.
- Smoked gouda and caramelized onions – Caramelized onions are goo on EVERYTHING. The end.
- Applewood smoked bacon and gorgonzola – I had this on sourdough bread and it was not to die for. Oh no. You want to LIVE to eat this one.
- Peaches and cream – We have to have at least one grilled cheese breakfast/dessert. Two slices french toast, cream cheese, and peach slices assembled and pressed stove top or on a panini press. And it was good.
More Great Dairy Posts
Souffle Bombay – Berry Cheesecake Shooters
What the heck’s a bonbon?- Watermelon, cucumber and strawberry granita with lemon vanilla frozen yogurt
We’re Parents!? – Strawberry Cheesecake Pancakes with Homemade Whipped Topping
It’s a Keeper – 10 Homemade Ice Cream Recipes (round up)
Pass the Sushi – Blueberry Frozen Yogurt
Opera Singer in the Kitchen – Double Cheese Spinach and Mushroom Omelette
Real: The Kitchen and Beyond – Jarlsberg Mushroom Melts + 10 Grilled Cheese Ideas
The Vintage Mom – Frozen Strawberry Yogurt Pops + Some More Fresh Ideas!
Giggles, Gobbles, and Gulps- 10 Fun Ways to Drink Your Milk (round up of flavored milk recipes)
Little Kitchie – Spinach & Prosciutto Pizza
How I Pinch A Penny – Banana Pudding Shooters
The Suburban Soapbox – The Ultimate Chocolate Martini
Mind Over Batter – Strawberries and Cream Icebox Cake
Sugar Dish Me – Healthy Creamy Pasta Salad
Kitchen Conundrum- Rich & Creamy Macaroni and Cheese
Yum! We always have cheese in our house too! It’s a staple in our house. These are some great recipes and what an awesome giveaway! Have been thinking about purchasing an ice cream maker.
I use plain yogurt in place of mayo.
Couldn’t agree with you more! We’re never without cheese in our fridge either, and if you want proof that great minds think alike, check out my latest blog post (which has nothing to do with your giveaway!) re: Jarlsberg & ‘shrooms! 😀 By the way… I could really use a new ice cream maker. Mine’s about 20 years old and is only 1 quart. Pick me, Rafflecopter, pick me!
I love Jarlsberg cheese! This is right up my alley!
Have you had their minis yet? LOVE!
These combos look delish! The Applewood Bacon and gorgonzola oh my! Seriously love these ideas!
There are so many terrific ones here! I don’t know which to try first! Cheddar and apple and the Mango Habanero Grilled Cheese sound delish! What a great post! One to bookmark for sure.
Fixed the name for you. 😉 I have totally done that and worse before. You should try Mango Habanero first. Thank you.
I’ve been playing around with grilled cheese recipes. I love unique combinations!
Now I’m craving ham and swiss with spicy mustard…. mmmmmm. Great combos!
I LOVE Ham, swiss, and spicy mustard – grilled on a multigrain bread. YUM!
Wow, that’s a lot of grilled cheese. Yum.
WOAH. I am starving now!!!
I was going to call out Smoked gouda and caramelized onions as my favorite in the list and then I saw you had Applewood smoked bacon and gorgonzola listed. I guess I will have to have both for lunch!
OMG, I need all these, especially the Applewood smoked bacon and gorgonzola
Peaches and Cream?? What? I need to try that one ASAP!!