Every spring the kids and I eagerly look forward to treasure hunting time, also known as yard sale time of year. It’s much more fun to take adventures and call it treasure hunting though. We have found that these “treasure hunts” can really help our budget when it comes to buying home decor or extras. Here are our yard sale tips and finds from this weekend.
Yard Sale Tips
Just because it’s cheap OR FREE doesn’t mean you need it.
- Where will it go?
- What will you use it for?
- Will it fill a need?
Don’t get caught in the moment or on a whim.
- Can you get it cheaper elsewhere?
- Does it have all parts?
- Are there any cracks or excessive wear?
- Will electronics actually work?
- Will it fit in your space?
- Are there stains, missing buttons, ripped, seams, broken zippers?
Don’t get sold on “collectible” or “investment”.
- Do you know its true value?
- Is it truly re-sellable?
- How long will it take to gather true value?
- Is it worth the space it will take up in your home?
Catch the end of the day sale.
- Early bird gets the worm but late bird gets the end of day deals.
- No one wants to haul stuff back into the house – make a bargain.
Share your great treasure hunting tips below.
We went on our first treasure hunt of the season on Saturday and found some great things.
Yard Sale Finds
$1 – A sweet little baby doll stroller including doll and a cute outfit (not this nightgown)
$1 each – 2 baseball gloves. So funny but D. had mentioned last week he wanted to get gloves for the boys. Perfect budget saver!!
$5 – Great chest with clasp
Not pictured –
Cinderella Story – $0.5o
Space Buddies – $0.50
American Girl Doll, Happy Birthday Samantha! Hard cover – $0.50
Nancy Drew, The Clue of the Whistling Bagpipes – $0.50
What’s your greatest find?
Thank you for joining us for another Fabulously Frugal Thursday. Check out more great tips below. Link up YOUR great tips, and if you link UP link BACK so you have a chance to be our featured post.
Last week’s Featured Post is by A Life Unprocessed: How My Family Went Shampoo Free.